Wednesday, October 1, 2008

29r vs 26r differences

Well, after yesterday's ride on the usual trail with the 26r and riding the 29r for about a month I noticed some major differences which I will talk about here. The gearing on the 26r is 11-32 while the 29r has an 11-34. The 4 lb difference in weight between the two should account for the lower gear ratio on the 29r.

Positives for 26":
1. The 26r was definitely much easier to use for climbing. I was going much further than when riding the 29r and didn't have to push myself as hard.
2. Carrying it was also much easier since it was smaller and weighed less.
3. Road riding is much easier since I can get up to speed faster than the 29r.

Positives for 29":
1. Extra clearance. One stream crossing last night was very deep as well and I didn't make it up the other side with the 26r. This crossing was not a problem with the 29r.
2. Sharper turns. I hit my shoe on the ground taking a sharp turn on the 26r which I normally did with the 29r without any problem.
3. Downhills are definitely much easier on the 29r. Not only do bumps get absorbed better but rolling over rocky terrain is much easier.
4. Climbing very rooty or rocky terrain requires less thinking about choosing an easy path since you can basically run over them without worrying about your wheel getting stuck.

No comments: