Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Modified 26" MTB to Road

So after adding all the road wheels and modifying the brakes, I bought some 9 speed road shifters and a road drop bar.  Apparently they didn't work very well with the Shimano XT rear derailleur.  It seems that once I had the indexing set on the smaller cassette rings it would skip a gear towards the larger ones.  Setting the indexing on the larger rings had the opposite effect of skipping towards the smaller ones.  After doing some research I found that the cable pull on the Shimano was different than that of a Campagnolo.  So a new 9 speed Campy RD was bought.  Once installed, everything shifted smoothly but when I took it out I ran into a couple of issues with the front derailleur.  It seems that the jump between the middle and small chainring was so large that almost every time I shifted, the chain would pop off.  After a few times, the chain was sucked in and it was impossible to take off unless I either broke the chain or removed the chainring.  A few more rides revealed the same constant issue.  As of now, my solution is to not use the small chainring up front.  A new front derailleur might solve the problem.

I also replaced the fork.  I found a nice matching carbon fiber road fork on ebay which did not sell for much since there were a flood of them on there.  After that I purchased a set of road brakes for the front fork.  Unfortunately the rear of the frame did not allow for retrofitting a road brake so I had to stick to the modified setup of the Vbrake.  So this is the only visible clue that it is an MTB frame.

Road bar and road shifter/brake combo installed with painted white caps.
 
Front view of road setup.

Right side - fork / drop bar


Full road setup with new seat and carbon fork.

No comments: