Monday, July 25, 2011

26" to 700c Conversion

So after a couple of years of not using the 26" Orbea Scape, I decided to use it as a road bike.  There were only a few brake adapters that were made to adjust for the taller 700c wheels.  One looked like a horseshoe, the other was a BMX brake.  They were way too expensive - between $70 and $100.  So after much research I came across an adapter that was custom made.  Chris helped me out and we came up with the following:


Aluminum adapters

Rear wheel mounted with stainless steel bolts and nuts (nylon locking)

Front wheel

26" with 700c wheel set.

After the first ride with the MTB crankset and road cassette I knew I would need a road crankset.  I found one for $39 - Truvativ Elita triple.  I bought a few bottom bracket spacers from REI and placed them on the chainring side.  The chainrings were so large that they dug into the frame without using spacers.  Once I swapped the cranksets and greased the bottom bracket(didn't need it but thought I would anyways) I tuned the front derailleur.  This took a while to position perfectly.  After two more rides I found that the derailleur still needed some adjustment.  I finally adjusted everything so that the chain was not rubbing on the derailleur.  So now it's an MTB frame with road wheels and road crankset.  This setup was ideal with the small chainring up front that allowed me to climb hills at my own pace and the large chainring that allowed me to go fast on flat roads and pedal during some downhills.  

SRAM Elita 3.3

Mounted

No comments: