Monday, August 15, 2011

Ride Stats 8/10/2011 - Road Ride

Funny story.  This trail is with a group in Howard County.  My friend joined so I decided to give it a try.  Apparently, this week was hill climbing week.  So I start out fine until the 4th hill when I slowed down drastically.  Then the sweeper kept pacing me back to the pack quite a few times.  About the halfway point(~12 miles) he tells me that at the pace I'm going we won't be back before the 2 hour mark, which they try to keep to.  So I told him I would go back with my GPS.  In the meantime my friend is pushing through and doesn't see me drop out.  So I trudge backwards thinking I'm not going to make it back before dark but I calmly proceed to the start point.  I did stop for about 5 minutes to talk to someone in a pickup truck to see if I was going the right way.  After I verified that I was and he gave me directions back, I felt much better.  At this point I was making a steady 12 mph.  I did stop again to check my GPS after the roundabout.  Then I see a lone lady biker pass me.  She was going at a nice pace so I decided to keep up with her.  Once I caught up I asked her where the community center was and apparently she was headed that way.  We started talking and I found out she was dropped from the group.  So we made our way back.  Then about 1 mile from the finish, my friend zooms by me.  Then three guys behind him go by.  I was scratching my head because I thought these guys would have been at the parking lot and leaving by now.  Apparently he told me that I had 3 ladies behind me, one that I knew about, two I wasn't even aware they were behind me?  I tried to catch him but I wore myself out.  Then the first lady I met overtook me at the last 1/2 mile.  My friend was at the parking lot with a few people following about 5 mins later.  I talked to my friend for about 15 minutes and I saw very few riders come in??  In those 15 minutes he told me what happened.  Apparently the leader of the group kept a fast pace.  It seems that she cracked after a few too many hills and they stopped to take a break.  He pushed on leaving them behind.  I was a little amused when he told me this.  I knew I was keeping a good pace for the C group.  Apparently the leader underestimated the hills and the trail was too long for a 2 hour ride.   I made it back under two hours and only missed a few miles of the entire ride.  I know this because my friend had his GPS and we compared notes.  If I was not dropped and kept going at my pace I would have ridden the whole trail and made it back before the two hours.  At 12 mph average the additional 2-3 miles would have taken me another 15 minutes (the amount of time I spent talking to him in the parking lot, which was close to 8:00 pm).

Needless to say, I didn't' like the first part of the ride too much.  The pace was too fast for me and I kept feeling like I was a bad rider(which I probably am) with the sweeper coming back to push me to a faster pace.  In a way, I'm glad I was dropped.  The second half of the ride was much better.  I went at my own pace pushing myself when I could and even met a few people along the way.  I knew what I was capable of and did it my way.  The only thing I wished was that the sweeper saw me in the parking lot.  He had not made it back those 15 minutes after I arrived and started talking to my friend.  I bet he still thinks that I was out there somewhere. :)
Elevation

My trace
Friend's Trace
Overlap between my trace and friend's trace.  It looks like there is a big difference between the two but in reality I only cut the path short by two of the corners, which ended up being ~3 miles.

No comments: