Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Six Pillars Century

So after building the Euskaltel, I decided to try out a longer ride than my usual 20 miles.  I signed up for the Six Pillars Century and rode the 57 mile course.  This was a nice ride around Cambridge but it was quite windy that day.  I was glad that I had the Rolf wheelset.  After the last stop on the course, I slowed down considerably due to the wind and hurting from sitting so long.  The next day I didn't have any soreness in the legs and no issues around the sitting area that was irritated on the ride - the Aquaphor sure did it's job.  Nothing like the MTB rides where my legs were sore the next day.  A few days later I did notice that my right foot was bruised from all the pedaling and rubbing against the shoe.  I need to use my left foot a bit more than I did and possibly see about the alignment of my foot with the pedal.  Gel inserts might fix the issue.

In preparation for the century, I made a long list of items to take, which might be useful for someone else:

Food:
bananas - take a few and find the smallest available at the store so that they fit in the Camelbak
Gu gels - about 4 of these
Gatorade - fill two bottles worth
granola bars - about three of these

Equipment:
helmet
gloves
water bottles / Camelbak
shoes
GPS / heart rate strap
tire pump
sunglasses
multitool
patches
tire removal levers
spare inner tube - it is much easier to replace a tube than using a patch kit
underseat storage bag - extra storage for items if needed

Ride info:
directions to start
ride maps / cue sheets
registration information

Misc:
sun tan lotion - always put it on.  I came back tanned and it was cloudy for most of the ride.
full gas tank
wallet / cash
Aquaphor - very useful relieving soreness / chafing.  You can also use it to lather the pad in the shorts.


Trace of 57 mile course

Some pics




No comments: